Encounter a new land and a people in a way that values them, deepens your spirituality, broadens your worldview and begins to heal the world.
Our trip focuses on Cuba's history, culture, politics, and spirituality. We will learn from the Cubans about the realities of their country. We’ll visit projects that serve the Cuban people and meet with members of the LGBTQ community, politicians, artists, scientists, and leaders in many fields. This is our 8th visit to Cuba!
This year Cleve Jones, founder of The NAMES Project AIDS Memorial Quilt, and co-founder of the San Francisco AIDS Foundation will be part of our delegation. Jones was invited to Cuba by Dr. Mariela Castro Espin, on behalf of the Cuban organizers of the Jornada to participate in educational and cultural exchange activities and to receive the CENESEX (Cuban National Center for Sex Education) Prize in recognition of his contributions to the advancement of the LGBTQ movement. Jones will also be a Grand Marshal at the Cuban version of the Pride Parade — making this a very special trip for all of us.
We will attend LGBTQ Pride events in Havana and march in solidarity with our Cuban brothers and sisters during the "Conga" - the annual Pride celebration.
We will learned about Cuba's colonial past to its revolutionary present, and how the complex historical relationship between the U.S and Cuba remains ever-changing.
Every trip is unique. Here are a few of the many highlights from past trips:
- Spending time with members of the Cuban LGBTQ community
- Meet with Mariela Castro and human rights activists
- Visit schools, medical clinics & the Institute of Tropical Medicine
- Snorkel the reefs of Varadero
- Help deliver medical and educational supplies
- Meet with members of Parliament and with political dissidents
- Visit ecological areas/learn about the Cuban organic movement
- Attend a concert by Bueno Vista Social Club
- Learn how Cuba has survived post USSR and under US embargo
- Visit the Bay of Pigs
- Meet members of the Cuba 5 - former US political prisoners
- Explore historic Old Havana
- Cruise Havana in a 1950s American Car
- Enjoy the white sand beaches and clear blue water at Varadero
- Visit the National Museum of Fine Arts/Museum of the Revolution
The cost of our 11day/10 night trip is $3,000 and includes a Cuba travel visa (required), all hotels/accommodations, in-country transportation by private van, all meals (except one), all gratuities, translation and guide services, speakers fees, entrance fees to special events. It does not include round trip air transportation from the USA (approximately $425).
Here are links with trip info:
RWF Website: http://www.rainbowfund.org/cuba-travel/