RWF activities increase positive LGBT visibility by demonstrating the LGBT community’s compassion, concern and leadership by building bridges with the international LGBT and world communities. Our actions change how the world sees LGBT people.
- Provide humanitarian aid and advocacy for both LGBT and non-LGBT communities in need locally and around the world.
- Create awareness within the LGBT community of the need for these relief efforts.
- Change perceptions of the LGBT community by putting our truest humanitarian beliefs and values into action, demonstrating our compassion and caring for all people.
- Build bridges between the LGBT community and the world.
PROJECTS & INITIATIVES
RWF partners our relief activities with humanitarian service agencies and national institutions to fund and support people affected by hunger, poverty, disease, oppression and war. By utilizing our partners' established and effective service-delivery networks, RWF is able to quickly and efficiently get aid to the most remote regions in the world. Partners include:
- America's Second Harvest
- Blue Diamond Society
- CARE (Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere)
- Feeding America
- Heartland Alliance
- MAG (Mines Advisory Group) America Inc.
- OTRANS (Organización Trans Reinas de la Noche)
- Sexual Minorities Uganda (SMUG)
RWF works with partners around the world on various humanitarian relief and sustainable development projects. Specific areas of focus include:
- Disaster Relief
- Refugee Resettlement
- LGBT Oppression
- Safe Water
RWF has supported projects in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Central America, the Middle East and the United States. RWF projects include:
- Disaster Relief Projects (Asian tsunamis, Hurricane Katrina, Guatemalan mudslides, Japanese Tsunami, Niger famine, Pakistan & Peruvian earthquakes)
- HIV/AIDS Case Management & Education Programs in Haiti and South Africa
- Mine Sweeping Project in Cambodia
- Food Supply/Agricultural Skills Project in Haiti
- Water Access Project in Honduras
- Orphanage, Schools & HIV/AIDS Community Outreach Projects in Guatemala
- School & Medical Supplies Project in Tijuana
- LGBT Refugee Assistance Projects in Iraqi and Uganda
RWF continues to help many LGBT refugees from Syria and Iraq reach safety, covering safe passage and resettlement expenses to Lebanon to start United Nations asylum cases. Many of the Middle Eastern refugees that RWF has helped are now living in Europe and the United States. RWF has also helped persecuted LGBT Africans reach safety outside of their home countries and aided them in starting new lives in their host countries.
Awareness, Advocacy and Events
RWF conducts an annual Global Awareness Journey during which we support humanitarian and educational projects, distribute funds and supplies, promote positive LGBT visibility, and provide mutual cultural and political educational opportunities.
RWF coordinates projects to promote peace, unity and hope, and awareness of international humanitarian issues, including:
RWF Humanitarian Aid Journey – annual group tour to a country open to cross-cultural education and interaction; as part of the tour, RWF travelers typically participate in community projects, attend educational presentations, and deliver medical and/or school supplies and equipment.
- RWF Advocacy in DC - RWF travels annually to Washington, DC to advocate for a variety of issues, including basic human rights, global poverty, international HIV/AIDS funding, prevention of violence against women, climate change adaptation assistance for developing nations, and protection of refugee populations. RWF does not initiate or participate in political campaigns or take sides in sectarian disputes.
- RWF Bus of Hope - group bus trip to inner cities and Mexican border towns to deliver food, medications, medical supplies, school supplies, computers, art supplies, and holiday gifts.
- RWF World Tree of Hope - annual San Francisco-based holiday tree decorating event comprised of origami "crane wishes" contributed by people from around the world and serving as a symbol of global unity to promote peace, love and humanitarianism.